Ricercatrice, fisica dei processi vulcanici
Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia, sezione di Pisa
via della Faggiola, 32
56126 Pisa, Italy
I study the physics of underground volcanic processes related to magma movement at depth, and try to relate such motion to measurable quantities at the Earth’s surface such as seismicity. Identifying the causative link between deep processes that we cannot measure and geophysical signals that are routinely recorded is the main aim of my research, and I am pursuing it in a variety of ways and using different tools.
- Virtual Access to the Volcano Dynamics Computational Center now open! Run volcano dynamics codes online!
- EGU 2020 abstract submission deadline is right around the corner (January 15th). Submit to our session ‘The Dynamics of Magmatic Plumbing Systems‘, sponsored by the IAVCEI Commission on Volcanic and Igneous Plumbing Systems (VIPS) and part of the AGU VGP/EGU GMPV session series!
I am a physicist by background: I hold a BSc, an MSc and a PhD in Physics from the University of Pisa, on variuos subjects related to plasma physics. My studies provided me with a strong knowledge of fluid dynamics as well as statistical mechanics, which I can now apply to understand the physics of volcanic systems.
I make strong use of high-performance-computing for my research. I perform numerical simulations to solve the multi-phase, multi-component equations of fluid dynamics of magmatic systems, characterized by non-ideal equations of state and mixture properties. I use in-house parallel codes that I have contributed to developing; I program in C++ and Fortran, and more recently I started using OpenFOAM, a powerful and versatile open-source CFD platform.
I also enjoy analytical modeling, which I find very useful in order to get a first-order glimpse on how the investigated processes evolve.
- Computational fluid dynamics: Numerical techniques for multiphase flow simulations.
- Magma Reservoir Processes: Thermo-fluid dynamics of magma storage zones.
- Geophysical records at volcanoes: Ground deformation, seismicity and gravity anomaly related to volcanic activity.