Profilo: Primo Tecnologo
Incarico: Coordinatore del Centro Pericolosità Sismica dell’INGV (https://ingvcps.wordpress.com/).
Disciplina di specializzazione: Sismotettonica, Sismologia storica, Pericolosità sismica
Istituto di appartenenza: Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia – Sezione di Pisa
Indirizzo: Via della Faggiola, 32 – 56126 Pisa
Telefono: +39 050 8311934
Fax: +39 050 8311942
MSc in Geological Sciences, University of Pisa (1986).
- February 2003 – present: senior technological scientist at National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology (INGV).
- December 1998 – January 2003: technical functionary at Pisa University and responsible for the Geomatics Lab.
- August 1990 – December 1998: researcher for National Group for Defence against the Earthquakes of the National Council of Research (CNR).
Carlo Meletti soon after the degree thesis worked in Seismotectonics research group at the Pisa University, for more than 16 years. All the main input elements for probabilistic seismic hazard assessment (earthquake catalogues and macroseismic databases, geological maps and structural models, active faults and so on) were objects of his studies in the frame of the National Group for Defence against earthquake (Gruppo Nazionale per la Difesa dai Terremoti – GNDT) at CNR. Starting from 1988 he elaborated the geodatabase of GNDT.
At INGV he participated to the working group that released the seismic hazard map of Italy (MPS04; http://zonesismiche.mi.ingv.it), acknowledged as reference seismic hazard model by the Prime Minister Ordinance 3519/2006, and he coordinated the INGV-DPC project S1 (http://esse1.mi.ingv.it) that released the seismic hazard model on which is based the seismic input in the 2008 building code of Italy.
He participated to several international projects (NERIES, SHARE among others) mainly focused on seismic hazard and on historical catalogues and macroseismic databases.
- September 2019 – present: director of the INGV – Section of Pisa
- January 2013 – August 2019: responsible for the Seismic Hazard Center (CPS – Centro Pericolosità Sismica; https://ingvcps.wordpress.com/) at INGV, in charge of the update of the reference seismic hazard model of Italy (expected release: 2019).
- 2011-2016: he participates at FIRB Abruzzo project “High-resolution analyses for assessing the seismic hazard and risk of the areas affected by the 6 April 2009 earthquake” where is the coordinator of the research unit 3 (INGV Milano).
- 2009 – 2013: he participates to the European Project SHARE (“Seismic Hazard Harmonization in Europe”), where he is the coordinator of task 3.5 (“Homogeneous determination of maximum magnitude”).
- 2008 – 2010: coordinator of the INGV Milano Research Unit in the INGV-DPC S2 Project (“Development of a dynamical model for seismic hazard assessment at national scale”).
- 2007 – 2013: responsible of TTC 4.2 (Models for the seismic hazard assessment at national scale) of the INGV.
- 2007 – 2009: coordinator and scientific responsible for the agreement between Eucentre, INGV and the Siracusa prefecture for the study on the seismic risk in the Priolo-Gargallo industrial area.
- 2007 – Present: he is member of the Academic Editorial Board of the scientific journal “Progettazione Sismica” (published by IUSS Press).
- 2007: coordinator of the national INGV-DPC S1 Project (“Continuation of assistance to DPC for improving and using the seismic hazard map compiled according to the Prime Minister Ordinance 3274/2003 and planning future initiatives”) by the INGV President.
- 2006 – 2010: he participates to the European Project NERIES (Network of Research Infrastructures for European Seismology) where it was involved in the task for the compilation of the European catalogue and in calibration of macroseismic procedures for parameterization of historical earthquakes.
- 2005 – 2007: coordinator of the Task 1 in the INGV-DPC S1 Project (“Continuation of assistance to DPC for improving and using the seismic hazard map compiled according to the Prime Minister Ordinance 3274/2003 and planning future initiatives”).
- 2005 – 2007: responsible of TTC 5.1 (Macroseismic databases and methods) of the INGV.
- 2005 – 2007: coordinator of the INGV Milano Research Unit in the INGV-DPC S1 Project (“Continuation of assistance to DPC for improving and using the seismic hazard map compiled according to the Prime Minister Ordinance 3274/2003 and planning future initiatives”).
- 2005: scientific responsible for the agreement between INGV and SNAMProgetti for the study on the seismological characterization of two sites for Carbon sequestration.
- 2005 – 2010: member of the editorial board of the INGV portal www.ingv.it.
- 2003 – 2004: coordinator of Task 1 (Seismogenic zonation) of the project for the compilation of the seismic hazard map of Italy (according the Ordinance 3274/2003).
- 2003: he is designated in the working group for the compilation of the seismic hazard map of Italy (according the Ordinance 3274/2003) by the INGV President.
- 2000 – 2003: scientific and technical responsible for the website of the Earth Science Department of Pisa University.
- 1998 – 2002: scientific and technical responsible for the Geomatics Lab at the Earth Science Department of Pisa University.
- 1998: Coordinator of the sub-Project 5.1.4 “Valutazione della pericolosità al sito” in the framework of the 1998 Executive Project of the GNDT.
- 1997 – Present: he promoted and still participate to the Quest activities (QUick Earthquake Survey Team) for the macroseismic survey in the field after an earthquake.
- 1990 – 1998: he participated to the projects finalized to seismic risk reduction for the Italian Civil Protection Department. Within these projects and among many other activities, he contributed to the definition of the seismogenic model and of the catalogue NT.